BlueHornet Networks, the email marketing provider released its 2014 Consumer Views of Email Marketing Survey Results. The results highlight important findings about consumer behavior and sentiment toward email marketing as well as statistics about interactions with brands, and their use of social media. The survey includes data from more than 1,000 people between 18 and 75 within the USA.
Some key findings from the survey
- Over 80% of people check their email before they start work.
- Over 80% of consumers report that discounts are the number one reason they sign up to receive emails. A reduced dollar amount is the most attractive type of offer.
- The second most appealing discount is a percentage off when consumers are 18 to 45 years old while free shipping hits the mark for 46 to 75 year olds.
- Nearly 45% of consumers will wait to make a purchase until they receive a discount.
- In 2014, just over 87% of consumers say they will either delete or unsubscribe altogether from an email list if mobile email messages don’t display properly.
- Given the choice, almost 70% of consumers want to communicate with brands via email rather than direct mail or text messages.
“This survey is loaded with personal consumer responses that help paint a more complete picture of individual relationships between consumers and the brands that email them,” said Mike Biwer, vice president and general manager for BlueHornet. “The data includes insights that digital marketers can use to create programs that build and sustain relationships with consumers. It also reinforces that consumers prefer brands reach out to them via email more than any other mode of communication.”
BlueHornet’s Consumer Views of Email Marketing report was designed to give marketers added insight into:
- Email Habits
- Frequency and Relevancy
- Purchasing Behavior
- Mobile Devices
- Social Media and Text Messaging